New Facilitators: RC@C 2014
A program to facilitate honest conversation with incoming students about alcohol and other drug issues at Columbia
Thank you for expressing interest to serve as a facilitator for a sucessful initiative, in its third year, co-sponsored by Alice! Health Promotion and the Office of Residential Programs. This training and facilitation offers an opportunity to learn about alcohol and other drug issues and to speak to incoming first-years about managing their choices around alcohol and other drugs as they transition into the Columbia community.
Why facilitate RC@C with incoming students?
- Impact our community in a healthy way
- Support the rights of all students to make their own choices regarding alcohol and other drugs
- Ensure students understand residential policy as it relates to choices regarding alcohol and other drugs
- Gain leadership experience
- Meet new people
RCA facilitators are expected to act as a positive role models for Alice! Health Promotion, the Office of Residential Programs and Columbia University at all times. While understanding that all students are human, there is an expectation that peer facilitators demonstrate and promote responsible choice and healthy behaviors regarding alcohol and other drugs. Applicants whose judicial sanctioning of probation or above may be excluded from participation as a facilitator.
- Spring Training is scheduled to take place on Sunday, April 27, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Facilitators will move-in on Monday, August 25.
- Fall Training is scheduled on Tuesday, August 26, from 9:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. (Important note: an additional training on Saturday, August 23, from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 pm may be scheduled to allow for NSOP OLs to participate! It is possible to be selected for both leadership opportunities.)
- RC@C facilitation will occur Tuesday, August 26, from 6:00-10:30 p.m.
Attendance is required at each of the above-noted dates in order to facilitate this program. Completed applications must be submitted below before the application deadline on Friday, March 14, 2014, at 8:00 p.m. You may be contacted for an interview as a final component of your application. We look forward to reviewing your submission and will inform you regarding your status as a facilitator by Friday, April 4. If you have any questions, please reach out to Michael McNeil at email@example.com, Cristen Kromm at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Alicia Czachowski at email@example.com.
Michael McNeil Cristen Kromm Alicia Czachowski
Executive Director Associate Dean Health Promotion Specialist