The Offices of Community Development
Community Development is comprised of five individual offices that work toward a common mission and shared goals. Together our offices support students in a variety of unique and complementary ways. The five offices, which can be explored through the menu links to the left, are Civic Action and Engagement, International Student Programs and Services, Multicultural Affairs, Residential Programs, and Student Development and Activities.
To foster a vibrant and welcoming community through organizational advising, leadership development, advocacy, diversity education, community programming and civic engagement.
While each office is distinct, collectively they offer a variety of programs, services, resources, and leadership opportunities that:
- Promote an inclusive community that values mutual respect, appreciation and acceptance of various identities
- Encourage individual students and groups to act responsibly and accept accountability for their words, actions and behaviors
- Provide experiences for students to identify goals, discover passions, and enhance personal, interpersonal, and professional skills
- Create opportunities for students to develop connections with our campus, the Columbia community, alumni, New York City, and the global community
- Collaborate with students in creating, maintaining, and further enhancing community traditions
- Advocate for, support, and inform students of available resources to help empower them
- Encourage participation in activities that promote community standards and social responsibility