Facilities and Security Funds
The Student Government Facilities Fund
The Student Government Facilities Fund is a front-end payment to cover student group Facilities expenses for events outside Lerner Hall.
The amount in the fund is reassessed after each year based on past data and it is important to note that this increase will not be limitless. The Facilities Fund is available to all recognized undergraduate student groups on the Morningside Campus funded by the Columbia College Student Council (CCSC), the Engineering Student Council (ESC) and the General Studies Student Council (GSSC). All charges to the fund must be made within the fiscal year in which the event occurred (July 1st through June 30th). Charges made to the fund afterwards will be charged against the student group account.
What’s covered by the Facilities Fund?
- Custodial Assistance
- Clean before/after/during event
- Trash removal
- Waste containers
- Ground Assistance
- Clean before/after/during event
- Trash Removal
- Waste Containers
- Gates open/remove posts/chains around lawn
- Installation/removal of lawn decking
- Labor Assistance
- Set up/breakdown of furniture
- Erect risers
- Supply stanchions
- Carpentry Assistance
- Hang/remove banners
- Electrical and Plumbing Assistance
- Provide extension cords and electrical hook ups, turning on power and voltage monitoring
- Turning on water, providing hoses and spigots
What’s not covered by the Facilities Fund?
- Equipment and external labor costs
- Coat Checks and attendants
- Tables and Chairs and other furniture rentals
- Tents and associated labor costs
- Staging and associated costs
- Events that happen during times when school is not in session
- Events scheduled after regular student event hours. Regular event hours are: M –W 5:00 pm to 1:00 am; Thurs & Fri: 5:00 pm to 3:00 am; Sat: 7:00 am to 3:00 am and Sun: 7:00 am to 1:00 am
- Events sponsored by Barnard groups or co-sponsored by administrative offices
- Events that feature 50% or more non-CUID events and generate revenue (prior approval required)
The Student Government Security Fund
The Student Government Security Fund is a front-end payment to cover all student group security expenses for events on the Morningside Campus. The fund is a resource to encourage a vibrant campus life. It is available to all recognized undergraduate student organizations on the Morningside campus funded by the CCSC, ESC and GSSC.
The amount in the fund is reassessed after each year based on past data and it is important to note that this increase will not be limitless. The fund covers the costs of the presence of uniformed CU security officers at a student event on the Morningside campus. The security fund is overseen by Student Engagement. All charges to the fund must be made within the fiscal year in which the event occurred (July 1st through June 30th). Charges made to the fund afterwards will be charged against the student group account
Prior authorization to access the Security Fund is required when events:
- Are scheduled in campus buildings that require guards to open the building when other space alternatives are/were available
- Are scheduled after regular student event hours. Regular event hours are:
- Mon through Weds: 5:00 pm to 1:00 am
- Thurs through Fri from 5:00 pm to 3:00 am
- Sat 7:00 am to 3:00 am
- Sunday 7:00 am to 1:00 am
- Are scheduled during those times when school is not in session.
- Are scheduled to last longer than 4 hours and guards have been required by Columbia University Public Safety.
- Are sponsored by Barnard groups
- Are co-sponsored with Administrative offices
- Feature 50% or more non-CUID events and generate revenue
Prior authorization must be requested at least seven days before the scheduled event by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with guard request in the subject line. A decision will be made by the treasures of the CCSC, ESC and GSSC student governments. When making a request please include:
- a brief description of the event - including event location, date and time, anticipated crowd (CUID/Non CUID)
- Reason for the guard presence and estimate of the expected number of guards needed
- Reason(s) why an exception is being requested.
Request will be responded to within 3-5 business days of receipt.