Travel: Payment Methods and Reimbursement
It is important to be familiar with the information below so that you understand various payment options and requirements for reimbursement, including important paperwork and deadlines.
An advance of funds up to $1,500, for purchases that cannot be paid through University checks.
- Note that there is personal accountability and liability associated with these funds
- One advance per group allowed at any given time
- Permitted at the discretion of the group adviser; usually awarded in instances when there is no approved vendor or costs are prohibitive
- Cannot use credit card to make purchases. Must use cash or the debit card of the cash advance holder
- Cash advance holder will be personally responsible for any taxes paid
- Must be requested at least 10 business days in advance
How to reconcile a cash advance:
- Complete T&B Form and tape (not staple) itemized receipts to 8 ½ x 11” paper for submission to your financial adviser within 5 business days after returning from trip
Out of Pocket Reimbursement
Reimbursement for items paid for with your own money that have been pre-approved. Expenses must fall within the guidelines outlined by your governing board and general University policy.
- Must remember to utilize Tax Exemption Certificate when traveling in one of the states on the list
- Can make purchases via cash, credit or debit card
How to reconcile an out of pocket reimbursement:
Complete T&B Form and tape (not staple) itemized receipts to 8 ½ x 11” paper for submission to your financial adviser within 5 business days after returning from trip
Completing a Travel & Business Expense Report Form
- The T&B Expense Report must be completed when reconciling a Cash/Travel Advance or when submitting for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses
- Overall Business Purpose: What + Where + When + Why
- Itemized Expense Descriptions:
- List expenses chronologically
- Use one line per receipt; provide vendor name, general description of purchase and names of participants for travel, or food for 10 or less people. If >10 people for food, indicate number of people
- Separate total amount of receipt into the unsegregated columns except for flowers, gifts, etc
- Do not include tax, unless purchase was made from a state not on the previous list
- If credit/debit card purchase, include copy of credit card/bank statement, with your name printed on it
- Tape (not staple) receipts to 8 ½ x 11” paper for submission to financial adviser
- Retain a copy of all receipts and the T&B Expense Report submitted for reimbursement.
- Submit all documentation directly to your financial adviser.
Reimbursement Submission Time Limit
- Reimbursements should be submitted within 5 days after the expense has been incurred or within 5 days after your return from the trip
- You must submit requests for reimbursement to your financial adviser within 120 days from the date the expenses were incurred, or the end of the University’s fiscal year on June 30th, depending on which comes first.
- You will not be reimbursed if you fail to submit within 120 days or at the fiscal year end