Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Home / How do I Pass/D/Fail a class? How do I uncover a P/D/F grade? / How do I Pass/D/Fail a class? How do I uncover a P/D/F grade?

How do I Pass/D/Fail a class? How do I uncover a P/D/F grade?

CC Students (Pass/D/Fail): CC students can designate one class per term to take Pass/D/Fail (not including PE courses and other courses that only allow the Pass/Fail grading option).  You cannot take any Core classes Pass/D/Fail, nor any language courses.  Some majors allow you to elect Pass/D/Fail for the first course you take in the department, but it is your responsibility to confirm that with the department before choosing the Pass/D/Fail option. 

Beginning with courses taken in the Fall 2007 semester, students are allowed to uncover a grade of Pass within two weeks of the start of the semester immediately following that in which the grade of Pass was received. Students have until two weeks into the start of the spring semester to uncover the grade of a fall course and two weeks into the start of the fall semester to uncover the grade of a spring or summer term course. The grade of Pass will not be used in calculating grade point average; the grades of D and Fail will be so used. For more detailed information, consult our Fact Sheet.

SEAS Students (Pass/Fail): SEAS students can take up to 6 credits of non-technical courses pass/fail and the courses will count towards their non-tech requirement. Courses must be at the 3000 level or higher. Students should check that the department offering the course allows courses in their department to be taken pass/fail.  Students cannot take any core classes or language instruction classes pass/fail.  Only one class per semester may be taken pass/fail.  (This restriction does not include courses that are only offered pass/fail).   The course grade cannot be uncovered. Courses taken pass/fail cannot count towards a minor, all courses taken for a minor have to be taken for a letter grade

Before the Deadline: The Pass/D/Fail deadline is usually the 10th week of classes.During the change of program period, students may elect to change the grading option via SSOL.During the post change of program period and before the deadline, students should email the Registrar at with their request.

After the Deadline: Students must petition the Committee on Academic Standing.  Find all instructions and forms here.


Question Tags: 

Center for Student Advising


403 Alfred Lerner Hall
2920 Broadway
New York, NY 10027

Call: (212) 854-6378

Fax: (212) 854-2562

Office Hours
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

Walk-in Hours
3:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.