Dept. of Music: Guidelines for Placement into Ear Training (ET) & Theory Courses
Musicianship/ET First Day of Class for Fall 2012
- All students who were enrolled in Spring 2012 ET classes advance to the next level for Fall 2012.
- Students new to the ET sequence regardless of experience must attend Intro ET (MUSI V1312) or ET I (MUSI V2314) to take a diagnostic exam for placement into the appropriate ET level.
- Students are REQUIRED to attend one of these sections for placement if they have not previously taken any Ear Training at Columbia and wish to do so this year:
1. Tuesday, September 4, 12:10 – 1PM, Dodge 814
2. Tuesday, September 4, 3:10 – 4PM, Dodge 803
3. Wednesday, September 5, 3:10 – 4PM, Dodge 404
Students seeking to take Diatonic Harmony & Counterpoint (V2318):
- An entrance exam will be given on the first day of class in all sections of "Diatonic Harmony and Counterpoint". A grade of B- or better places a student into "Diatonic Harmony and Counterpoint." A grade of C+ or lower places the student in "Fundamentals of Western Music."
- Diatonic Harmony and Counterpoint Entrance Exam Schedule:
1. Tuesday, September 4, 1:10 – 2:25PM, Dodge TBA
2. Wednesday, September 5, 1:10 – 2:25PM, Dodge TBA
- Registration Priority for "Fundamentals of Western Music" (V1002) will be given to first-years and sophomores who are registered as Music MMCs or who are considering becoming a Music MMC.
Please click here for more information.