Young Women Rock!: Great volunteer opportunity for students - Mentor high school girls
Calling all college women and graduates!
Interested in mentoring young women from a Brooklyn high school? Read on!
What is Young Women Rock!?
Young Women Rock! is dedicated to strengthening the lives and communities of young women in under-served neighborhoods through a sustainable curriculum-based, group and one-on-one mentorship program. The mentorship program provides young women with the resources and support necessary to make positive life choices and create community change. Young Women Rock! encourages and empowers young women to make informed and healthy decisions about their relationships, sexual health, future options, and broader women’s issues. To learn more about the program, please view our feature on MSNBC<http://video.msnbc.msn.com/melissa-harris-perry/47658225#47658225>.
How does Young Women Rock! work?
Pairing group-based mentoring with one-on-one mentor/mentee relationships, Young Women Rock! helps young women build self-esteem and awareness to make healthy choices as they mature. Each Thursday, a group of mentors lead interactive, fun and educational sessions on issues that are important to young women. We invite guest speakers and lead dynamic workshops, as well as take the young women on a cultural outing once a month.
A sampling of the topics from the Young Women Rock! curriculum is as follows:
* Self-esteem, Personal Identity & Body Image
* College, Future Options & Global Citizenship
* Stereotypes & Discrimination
* Conflict Resolution, Bullying & Internet Safety
* Sexual Health & Responsible Decision-Making
* Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships and Preventing Violence Against Women
Most importantly, through Young Women Rock!, young women build positive relationships, gain the self confidence to stay in school, and learn to make healthy choices impacting themselves and their future.
Important Details & How to Apply:
* Where does Young Women Rock! meet? WATCH High School, 400 Pennsylvania Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11207 (inside Jefferson High School; approximately 40 minutes from Manhattan)
* When does Young Women Rock! meet? Thursdays from 3:30PM-6:00PM. Consistent attendance is essential. Many of these girls are used to adults being unreliable and unsupportive. It is important that we are a stable, reliable and supportive part of their lives.
* How long does Young Women Rock! last? One academic year (starting Thursday, September 13th)
* ***How can I apply to be a YWR! mentor? Submit the application (http://womenworldwideinitiative.org/mentorship-program/become-a-mentor/). You will be required to attend a mentor training session and undergo a background check.
Thank you for your interest in being a positive role model for young women. We hope that you apply to become a mentor and through this wonderful volunteer opportunity help us to enhance the lives of young women from under-served neighborhoods in New York City!
The Women Worldwide Team!