Supplemental Funding Request for Winter Break 2012-2013
The Office of International Student Programs and Services (ISPS) is offering an opportunity for supplemental funding of events facilitated by members of the Residential Programs staff during the academic break. The funds are intended to provide ways for students to connect while on campus and in New York City during this period. ISPS encourages RP staff who will be on campus during winter break (December 22, 2012 to January 21, 2013) to plan and offer events to those in the community who remain on campus. Events that are inclusive of the entire community will be prioritized for approval since there is a lower population on campus at this time.
- Sponsored by RAs, CAs, GHDs and/or ADs
- Social, recreational, or entertainment-based
- Planned for and advertised to building, area and/or campus
- Events structured to promote interaction, engagement and investment to attend the entire program are highly preferred
- Events should be planned as low- or no-cost to student participants
- Events must be accessible to students with disabilities
Event will not be funded if:
- They are individual floor events
- They promote or involve alcohol or other drug use or unsafe/unhealthy activities
- The proposal was not submitted in a timely manner
Have you ever been on campus when “no one” is around? Academic break periods are a quieter time, but not everyone leaves campus. Because of Columbia’s policy which allows undergraduates access to their residence hall throughout the academic year, students who do not leave campus for various reasons are in need of some company. Students stay on campus due to the distance from home or cost of transportation, and others may choose to be on campus during an internship or job opportunity. Whatever the reason, you are all here together – plan something that involves campus or New York City for some good, old-fashioned Columbia bonding time! Think creatively and prepare to share what is needed to plan and implement this program: incentives (a neighborhood/culture never explored!), food (international potluck!), props, games, supplies, etc. Use winter to your advantage – there’s only one New York City in the wintertime. A detailed budget will need to be kept in order to track actual expenditures.
All requests must be submitted at least 7 business days in advance of the program date.