University of Connecticut Health Center
Aetna Health Professions Partnership Initiative
Medical/Dental Preparatory Program
- Is for college sophomores, juniors, seniors or recent graduates.
- Is a six-week summer program consisting of two tracks.
- Track One MCAT/DAT Preparation Program is for students who will be taking the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) or Dental Admission Test (DAT). The program focuses on MCAT/DAT test preparation, clinical interaction with preceptors and introduction to problem based learning through case studies.
- Track Two Basic Medical Science Program is for all other students not on Track One. This track consists of basic medical science courses emphasizing essential principals of cell and molecular biology correlated to problem based learning case studies. Clinical experiences and professional development exercises are also presented.
- Has two purposes (a) to facilitate the entry of these students into medical and dental schools by improving their performance on admissions tests and through professional development activities and (b) to increase the retention of successful matriculants to professional schools through early exposure to professional education.
- Provides housing, meals and a stipend.
college sophomores, juniors, seniors or recent graduates of pre-professional programs with a ‘B’ average or better. 2. Have high motivation and demonstrate potential for pursuing a career in medicine or dental medicine. 3. Be from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in the health professions (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian) or others from disadvantaged backgrounds who meet all eligibility criteria and have a high probability of fulfilling the social and educational goals of this program. 4. Submit a completed application form (Word doc) available from your counselor, this web site, or by email. 5. Have an official transcript submitted from each college or university attended. 6. Provide two letters of recommendation, at least one from a science instructor. 7. Provide a copy of your Federal Income Tax Form 1040 or Equivalent for 2010 (submit when completed and filed).