University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program
The University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program (FPHLP) is a 10-week summer program at the University of Michigan School of Public Health (UM-SPH) whose goal is to increase the diversity of the public health workforce. Participants receive leadership training, orientation to the public health disciplines, and real world work experience. The program is designed to foster knowledge of, excitement about, and commitment to the elimination of health inequalities.
Program dates: May 27-August 3, 2012
- 8-week internship in a public health agency
- 2-week training and skill-building sessions at the UM-SPH (Ann Arbor, MI) & CDC (Atlanta, GA)
- $3500 Stipend
- Weekly site visits to key public health organizations in MI
- Housing in U-M residence hall
- Round trip travel from your home to Ann Arbor, MI
- Local transportation to and from work site
- Kaplan GRE Preparation course
Internships are available in the following disciplines of Public Health:
- Health Behavior Health Education (HBHE) is concerned with the factors associated with health-related behavior and health status, and develops and evaluates innovative strategies to address and improve individual and community health.
- Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) are concerned with the impact of environmental conditions on human health -- in particular the health effects in people that can arise from exposures to agents (chemical, biological, physical, or even behavior) through the air they breathe, the water they drink, the food they eat, and the manner in which they go about their lives and their work. Environmental health is a multidisciplinary field grounded in the physical life sciences with applications to the social, management and political sciences.
Download the application (.pdf) here.
The deadline to apply is February 10, 2012.
Charlita Daniels, Summer Programs Manager
fphl.program [at] umich.edu
NOTE: For those interested in internships in the field of Health Management and Policy, please apply to the University of Michigan Summer Enrichment Program in Health Management & Policy (SEP).
The Future Public Health Leaders Program (FPHLP) is funded through a Cooperative Agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office of Minority Health and Health Equity (OMHHE).