CC/SEAS Visiting & Exchange Students
- Students are required to register for a minimum of 12 points to maintain full-time status, and may register for no more than 22 points.
- The average course load for Columbia College students is 15 points/credits (4-5 classes).
Columbia Credit System
- Most undergraduate classes are 3 or 4 credits or points (these terms are used interchangeably)
- Credits generally reflect time spent in and out of the classroom. (1 Credit=3 semester hours)
As a CC/SEAS Visiting/Exchange Student, you are eligible to enroll in most courses within the Division of Columbia College, SEAS (engineering school), and Barnard College, as long as those courses are “open to” Columbia College/SEAS Students. Such courses will include the following prefixes in the course number: C, V, W, G, E, BC, or W (see Key to Columbia Course Listings or Course Listing Guide). However, please note that some courses (including those open to Columbia College students) have various departmental restrictions or limited enrollment. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the availability of any class. If you require a very specific course in order to graduate from your home institution, you should have a back-up plan in the case that you cannot enroll in that course.
You will find a list of courses on the following webpages:
- To determine what courses are offered this term and when they are offered, please consult the Directory of Classes.
- For more information about how to read the course listings,see Key to Columbia Course Listings or Course Listing Guide.
In addition to the undergraduate divisions, there are 16 graduate/professional divisions within (or affiliated with) Columbia University (full list here). CC/SEAS Visiting & Exchange Students may have the opportunity to enroll in some of these courses. Interested students should contact their Advising Dean for specific enrollment procedures. Read more about taking courses in other divisions of the University.
Keep in mind, the following Columbia College Core Curriculum courses may NOT be taken by visiting students…
Masterpieces of European Literature and Philosophy (Literature Humanities):HUMA C1001/C1002
Intro to Contemporary Civilization in the West (Contemporary Civilization):HUMA C1101/C1102
Masterpieces of Western Art (Art Humanities): HUMA C1121
Masterpieces of Western Music (Music Humanities): HUMA C1123
University Writing: ENGL C1010
African Civilization: AFCV C1020