Regarding my career search, where and when do I start?
Start in your first year by visiting Columbia’s Center for Career Education (CCE) website and the International Students section. Then visit CCE to speak with a career counselor to learn more about the resources to support your internship/ job search as an international student. You may also want to connect with the Office of Fellowship Programs and the Office of Preprofessional Advising.
Note that CCE works with international undergraduate and graduate students and alumni to help them define career goals and gain meaningful work experiences through*:
- LionSHARE internship/jobs database - Set up a job agent to be notified in a daily digest of internship and/or jobs
- Domestic and international internship programs
- Career Fairs - Science Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Career Fair/Networking Reception, Start-up Career Fair, Fall & Spring Career Fairs
- Alumni Connections and Networking Events, including Media Networking Night, Columbia Career Connections on LinkedIn, Engineering Student-Alumni Speed Networking, Employer Site Visits, and Professionals in Residence
- Individual career counseling, workshops, and online resources to help with internship/job applications, interviewing, networking, negotiations, and the decision to pursue graduate school
- Industry specific resources covering career paths, employers, professional associations, internship/job sites, and research opportunities
*Some services for Visiting and Exchange students may be limited