ABP Preliminary Proposal Submission
The Alternative Break Program (ABP) is a student-proposal-driven, team-based service experience. The ABP helps support and guide teams of students to develop and run comprehensive domestic and international service projects over summer, winter and spring breaks. These projects will allow teams to work with communities on their various challenges by exploring the social, economic, political, historical and cultural variables of those communities.
The Preliminary Proposal is the first opportunity for you to present your idea to the ABP Student Board so that they may determine if it is a viable and strong candidate to receive support from the Alternative Break Program.
Prior to submitting a Preliminary Proposal, we encourage to read all of the information provided within the Alternative Break Program web pages, especially information about deadlines and the role of the Trip Leaders, so that you are well-informed of the program details.
*Note that you do not need to have all details of your trip planned at this time but you should be able to fully explain the idea behind your trip, your goals, and how you plan to put your team and trip together.
Criteria for Approval of Student-led Alternative Break Trips
Student-initiated ABP trips are proposed, planned and developed by individual students or student groups. The trip proposals are evaluated by the ABP student board, who provides funding and support recommendations to the CAE.
Preliminary Proposals are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Feasibility and safety of the proposed trip
- Clearly outlined goals of the trip – including what the team hopes to accomplish in the community in which it is to work, what the team hopes to learn from the experience, and how the experience will have a sustainable impact within the community
- Identification of and tentative acknowledgement from a credible sponsor organization
- Composition and size of team as well as how the team will be recruited/assembled
- Team and team member expectations
- Anticipated budget
- Travel Logistics (both to and from campus as well as travel needs while on the actual trip)
- Lodging Logistics
*Please note that you may begin the Preliminary Proposal, save a draft, and come back later to complete your Proposal. HOWEVER before beginning you need to Log In to the site by clicking the Log In button in the upper right hand corner of this page and then return to this page to begin the Proposal submission. You do not have to complete the form in one session. After clicking the 'Save Draft' button at the bottom of the page, you may return to work on your Proposal by Logging In to the site and returning to this page. The information you entered previously will appear in the form below. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.