Working for Residential Programs
Who we are...
The paraprofessional staff of Residential Programs includes 133 students as Resident Advisers (RAs) and 13 Community Advisers (CAs). Among the entire population of 5,500 undergraduate students, our RAs and CAs emerge as leaders within the Columbia community. RAs develop a healthy community by focusing on the growth and development of each individual on their hall and promote an environment conducive to the overall wellness needs of residents. CAs are returning student staff members who use their experience to foster growth and development within their area staffs and support residential programming for their communities.
Who we want...
We want current first-years, sophomores, and/or juniors who would like to make a difference in the Columbia Community. We want students who are leaders or hope to be leaders by shaping our residence halls as vibrant, educational communities. We look for creative and energetic students who are strong team players and good listeners. We seek undergraduates open to gaining new skills - such as community development, conflict resolution, programming – through the experience of being an RA or CA.
Why you want to be an RA or CA...
- Gain transferable skills and experiences for all types of careers
- Develop problem-solving and effective time management skills and how to work within a larger team
- Support transition for new students and foster relationships among upperclass students
- Make a difference in campus life
- Compensation consists of housing and a $600 stipend
- Current CC or CE first-years, sophomores, or juniors
- Have guaranteed housing
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and be in good academic and behavioral standing