Welcome Class of 2018
This summer the Center for Student Advising offered four COLUMBIA 101 Webinars/Q&As for students who were unable to attend the in-person COLUMBIA 101's in June. If you were unable to attend one of the in-person or online webinar sessions, please watch one of the webinar recordings below. This is a great way to prep for your move to campus and the transition ahead.
- July 16 (Columbia College) - Webinar Recording - PowerPoint
- July 16 (Columbia Engineering) - Webinar Recording - PowerPoint
- July 30 (Columbia Engineering) - Webinar Recording - PowerPoint
- July 30 (Columbia College) - Webinar Recording - PowerPoint
- COLUMBIA 101: Columbia College - Student Agenda (Handout)
- COLUMBIA 101: Columbia Engineering - Student Agenda (Handout)
University Writing for International Students
All CC and SEAS students must take University Writing in their first year at Columbia. Half of the Class of 2018 takes University Writing in the fall, and the other half takes it in the spring.
Each semester, Columbia offers a few sections of University Writing geared toward English Language Learners (non-native speakers of English) who wish to focus more specifically on issues of second-language acquisition and adjusting to a new academic culture. This “international” section will be taught by a specially trained instructor who will provide extra support and instruction on sentence-level issues, while also highlighting common expectations of American academic writing, including the use of sources, paragraph length and structural organization. The section will otherwise be identical to the typical University Writing section. If you wish to enroll in an international section, please email Advising Dean Justin Snider (email@example.com) by Tuesday, August 12th.