Richard Wagner's Tristan und Isolde; Siegfried Jerusalem as Tristan; Matti Salminen as King Marke; Waltraud Meier as Isolde; Falk Struckmann as Kurwenal; Johan Botha as Melot; Marjana Lipovsek as Brangane; Peter Maus as the shepherd; Roman Trekel as the steersman; Uwe Heilmann as the young sailor; with the Chor der Berliner Staatsoper; Ernst Stoy, chorus master.
Mikhail Glinka's "Ruslan and Lyudmila," 1842 - the work that marked the birth of Russian national opera.
Libretto by the composer and Valeryan Shirkov after the poem by Alexander Pushkin.
Recording: Moscow, Bolshoi Theatre, 1978/79.
Grand Prince Svetozar - Valery Yaroslavtsev, bass
Lyudmila, Svetozr's daughter - Bela Rudenko, soprano
Ruslan, Kievan knight - Yevgeny Nesterenko, bass
Ratmir, Khazar prince - Tamara Sinyavskaya, mezzo-soprano
Farlaf, Varangian knight - Boris Morozov, bass
Gorislava, Ratmir's slave - Nina Fomina, soprano
1. Merce Dilette Amiche-Sondra Radvanovsky (soprano); Constantine Orbelian (Conductor); Philharmonia of Russia.
2. Les Vepres Siciliennes-Jacqueline Baumaire (soprano); Jean Bonhomme (tenor); Neilson Taylor (baritone); Ayhan Baran (bass); BBC Orchestra & Chorus; Mario Rossi (conductor); Ashley Lawrence (Ballet music conductor).
3. Blick' ich umher-Peter Mattei (baritone); Lawrence Renes (conductor); Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra.
4. Traume-Jonas Kaufmann (tenor); Markus Bruck (bass-baritone); Donald Runnicles (conductor); Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin.
Using Werther as a launchpad, tonight's SNO focused on the demands and interpretations of Massenet's heroes and heroines. The program revolved around the notion of finding the right balance between lyricism and power in various interpretations of these quintessential roles of the French rep.
1. Jonas Kaufmann (tenor); Marco Armiliato (conductor); Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.
2. Werther-Rolando Villazon (tenor); Sophie Koch (mezzo); Eri Nakamura (soprano); Auden Iversen (baritone). Antonio Pappano (conductor); Orchestra of the Royal Opera House.
1. Rinaldo-Marilyn Horne (mezzo); Samuel Ramey (bass); Benita Valente (soprano); Noelle Rogers (soprano); John Alexander (tenor). Mario Bernardi conducts the National Arts Center Orchestra and Chorus. Live performance: July 9, 1982.
2. Sorge Infausta Una Procella/O Ruddier Than The Cherry-Bryn Terfel (bass-baritone); Charles Mackerras conducting Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
3. Lascia Ch'io Pianga-Marilyn Horne (mezzo).
4. Wozzeck- 1966 Live recording.
5. Some Enchanted Evening-Marilyn Horne (mezzo); Sam Ramey (bass).