Columbia Engineering Advising
To earn the Bachelor of Science degree from The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science you must:
- Complete the First-Year Sophomore technical requirements
- Take at least 27 points of nontechnical coursework
- Satisfy specific requirements for your major
- Earn 128 points
You must register for at least 12 credits per semester, and may not register for more than 21 points per semester without approval from the Committee on Academic Standing. You are expected to complete all requirements within 8 terms.
- Calculus: Depends on initial placement level
- Physics: At least 2 semesters
- Chemistry: At least 1 semester depending on major
- ENGI E1102: The Art of Engineering
- Computer Science: Placement depends upon programming experience and major
- Professional-level course
- Lab requirement for selected major: Chemistry and/or Physics lab depending on major
You are required to take Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, and Gateway Lab during your first year at SEAS.
You must complete at least 27 points of nontechnical coursework, including:
- University Writing: ENGL C1010
- Core Humanities sequence: two semesters of Literature Humanities, Contemporary Civilization, or Global Core courses
- Art Humanities or Music Humanities
- Principles of Economics
- Three or four elective courses (9-11 points)
You are required to complete University Writing in your first year; most students complete the Core Humanities sequence in their second year.
Columbia Engineering students must complete the requirements for a major. You will declare your major online during the first semester of your sophomore year.