Majors and Major Declaration
Majors and Concentrations
- Here is the complete list of Columbia College majors, concentrations, and programs of study.
- Major/Concentration Degree Requirements: All students must complete at least one major or concentration to fulfill the degree requirements; students may select a major, concentration, special concentration, and/or a special program in addition to this first selection. Selecting only a special concentration or special program will not fulfill the requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Double Major/Concentration: All students attempting to complete double majors, double concentrations, or a combination of a major and a concentration should keep in mind that they must complete separate sets of required and related courses for each field. A single course may not be counted twice.
- Premedical students: You must complete a regular concentration or major while fulfilling the premedical curriculum. Please note your interest in applying to a health professions school by making the appropriate selection on the declaration web page.
If you are considering a major in the humanities and social sciences, you should in your first two years take a combination of Core courses and introductory-level courses in disciplines that interest you and that you would like to explore as potential majors or concentrations. If you are considering a major in the sciences, you must focus on the required introductory science and math courses in your first two years.
Students who are undecided should talk to their advising dean about choosing classes that will allow them to narrow their choices. You should also spend some time reading the CC Bulletin online, meeting with faculty, and exploring the courses offered by various departments and the requirements of each potential major.
Each department and academic program has a Director of Undergraduate Studies, a faculty member who can answer your questions about requirements for the major or concentration, guide your choices about placement level, discuss opportunities to study abroad, and assist you in planning your program. Please see the complete list of names and contact information.
Columbia College students declare their majors during the second semester of sophomore year. Students are not permitted to declare their majors early.
Most majors can be officially declared using the online declaration system, which goes live in March. The departments on the list below, however, also require written departmental approval to finalize your declaration. Once the declaration period begins, please take this form to the appropriate department to obtain approval (addresses listed below).
- Architecture (500 Diana)
- Comparative Literature & Society (Heyman Ctr.)
- Creative Writing (617 Kent)
- Earth & Environmental Sciences (556-557 Schermerhorn ext.)
- East Asian Languages & Cultures (407 Kent)
- Film Studies (513 Dodge)
- Italian (502 Hamilton)
- Latin American and Iberian Cultures (101 Casa Hispánica)
- Physics (704 Pupin)
- Sustainable Development (2910 Broadway, Hogan Hall Suite A110)
- Urban Studies (208 Hamilton)
- Visual Arts (310 Dodge)